In the first half of the 20th century, Marietta
economic doldrums due to dwindling river-related
industries. The town's early grandeur had produced
many handsome Federal and Victorian homes and the
hard times of the early 1900's meant that residents
could not afford to "modernize" them. Untouched,
these homes were highly desirable for restoration.
Hurricane Agnes blew into Marietta in June of
Along with the winds and high water came federal
disaster relief money. With 45% of the town declared
a National Historic District, Marietta has become a
recognized center for restoration. The grandeur of
Marietta's past is awaiting your discovery.
1727 Wilkins property sold to The Rev. James Anderson,
son, James, subsequently establishes a ferry.
1733 George Stewart's son inherits land which
he sells to David
Cook in 1748
1803 David Cook's son lays out town of New Haven (east end of
1804 James Anderson IV lays out town of Waterford (west end
1812 Anderson and Cook procure charter and name the town
1813 John Pedan, James Mehaffey, and James Duffy purchase
land west of Anderson's, lay out lots in what is known as
1814 Jacob Grosh purchases and lays out lots now the
easternmost four blocks of town.
1816 Market House erected on square; Union Meeting House
construction on public burying ground authorized.
1817- Economic crisis checks town expansion;
1825- recovery slow until Pennsylvania Canal built
1830 from 1825-30. Planing mills, lumber yards, carpentry
shops vie with taverns as backbone of local economy.
1847 Borough erects Town Hall at Walnut and Waterford
c.1850 Iron smelting leaves indelible mark on town with as many
as six furnaces, as well as rolling mills, in borough. Vital
remnants of iron industry are homes of ironmasters, still
serving as residences.
1861- Marietta raise five companies of soldiers for Union Army.
1865 Women knit and bake bread in support. River banks
fortified in 1863 as Confederate Army invades York.
1863 First National Bank of Marietta becomes first chartered
bank in Lancaster County and twenty-fifth in United States.
1876 Marietta celebrates U.S. Centennial. First issue of The
Marietta Times published on Thanksgiving; continues until
c.1880 Mansions in Marietta are sites of lavish entertaining,
hosting Presidents Grant and Cleveland, Supreme
Court justices, and railroad presidents.
1882 Dr. H. M. Alexander founds what is now Wyeth
Laboratories, the first commercial biological laboratory
in the U.S.; produces more vaccine than all other such
establishments in U.S. by 1984.
1893 Columbia and Donegal Electric Railway runs its first car
from Columbia to Marietta through Chiques Hill Park.
1917- Marietta again sends men to serve their country,
1918 including Lt. Benjamin Heistand, in whose memory
the Marietta Community House is dedicated.
1972 Floods from Hurricane Agnes devastate the town, but
spark restoration efforts.
1978 The United States places a portion of the town on the
National Register of Historic Places, calling it a well
preserved example of a mid-19th-century town.
1984 The Marietta Historic District Extension is dedicated,
making 48% of the town now part of the National
Register of Historic Places.